Attention VGHLers and EA NHL Community:
We hope you are all having a fantastic summer! We have some exciting news to announce as we approach our 18th season on the upcoming NHL 20 release. The following will be fundamental changes to the structure of our league resulting from community feedback.
- All players must register to retain NHL or AHL eligibility each season
- Registration for Season 18 will open Friday August 2nd
- We will offer a sweepstakes for new/returning players to obtain automatic NHL eligibility, details to be announced. Players may purchase status boosters as well.
- Players who miss the registration window may still play in the league but must join the PHL
- Players that played in the previous season but did not sign up for the upcoming season will be automatically set to IDLE.
- Players that are IDLE who have missed more than one season of play will be automatically set to RETIRED
- During the status change window, players may also update their PSN, position, and must select a NEW WEEKLY AVAILABILITY RANGE.
- All players who register must commit to a weekly availability range. A player must be available to play this # of games every week throughout the season to be submitted using the weekly lineup tool. This range will be displayed on gamer profiles and used as a tool for management to scout & build teams.
- 4 Full Game Week Ranges to choose from: 2-3 games, 3-5 games, 5-7 games, 7-10 games. Ranges will not apply in weeks that are less than 4 game days.
- Failure to submit availability prior to the weekly deadline results in a full week suspension of play. Blacklist will result from 2 consecutive violations, or 3 cumulative violations in a single season.
- If a player submits availability but the total falls below his or her minimum games, it must be reported by management to the VGHLPA. 2 Consecutive violations or 3 cumulative violations results in a BL.
- All players may request to move up or down by a maximum of one range prior to the VGHL trade deadline. This request must be made to the VGHLPA, and once used cannot be changed again until offseason status change.
- All players must be available for their weekly minimum and cannot play more than their weekly maximum.
- Management is required to provide playing time based on the league minimum weekly games played. This amount is independent of the player’s range selection.
- NHL O, NHL C, AHL C, AHL A, PHL O, PHL C are not required to submit or play within the ranges but must select a range in the offseason to satisfy registration requirements.
New Season Structure
- NHL & AHL Season Opener: Sunday September 29
- Final Game of Playoffs: Thursday December 19
- Our regular season will be shortened from a full simulation 82 games to a modified 62 game schedule with a focus on divisional play.
- There is a scheduled 1 week break between Round 1 & 2 of the NHL/AHL playoffs during US Thanksgiving.
- Season 19 & Season 20 will also run on NHL 20 with further dates to be announced.
Regular Season Reschedules
- To help accommodate our new structure, and as a direct result of community feedback, we are removing the option to reschedule games from our regular season schedule.
We are looking forward to NHL 20 and the launch of our refreshed 18th Season! Follow the website newsletter and our social media pages for further rule updates and a complete timeline as we move closer to our season opener. Enjoy the rest of your summer!